Quotation #70 Precious Pearls
Blessed statements from the Doctrine of the Sunnis: The `Aqeedah of At–Tahawiyy
- Allah is One, without any partners.
- There is [absolutely] nothing like Allah. There is nothing that renders Allah powerless. There is no god [or creator] other than Allah.
- Allah is the Eternal without a beginning and the Everlasting without end.
- Nothing happens except what Allah wills.
- No imaginings can fathom Allah, and no comprehension can encompass Allah’s Realtiy.
- Allah is [totally] different from every created being.
- Allah created the creation with His knowledge [no physical gender intended–the Creator is not a male or female.] Allah preordained destinies for those He created. Allah appointed to them fixed death times. Nothing about them was hidden from Allah before He created them, and Allah knew everything that they would do before He created them.
- We are certain that Muhammad, sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam, is Allah’s chosen servant and selected Prophet and His Messenger whom Allah highly accepts.
- And that he (Muhammad) is the Seal of the Prophets and the leader of the God-fearing and the Most Honored of all the Messengers and the Beloved (highly accepted) of the Lord of all the Worlds.
- Every claim to prophethood after Prophet Muhammad is falsehood and deceit. Prophet Muhammad is the one who has been sent to all the jinn and humanity with truth and guidance and with light and Illumination.
- Anyone who ascribes to Allah a human characteristic blasphemes.
- Anyone who does not guard himself against negating the Attributes of Allah, or likening Allah to the creation, has gone astray and has failed to realize that Allah is attributed with Absolute Transcendence (Non-Neediness) and Incomparability. Our Lord, the Glorious and the Exalted, is attributed with the Attributes of Oneness and Uniquenss. None of the creations have Allah’s Attributes.
- Allah is clear from having boundaries, extremities, sides, organs, appendages, or instruments. None of the six directions contain Allah, as is the case with all originated beings.
- There is nothing that Allah has created in either the heavens or the earth that can contradict Allah’s Foreknowledge and Predestining–or add to it, or erase it, or transform it, or decrease it, or increase it in any way. This is among the obligations of Faith and fundamentals of knowing Allah’s Oneness and Lordship. As Allah revealed in the Qur’an:
وَخَلَقَ كُلَّ شَىءٍ فَقَدَّرَهُ تَقْدِيرًا
“Allah created everything is accordance to His Destining.” [al-Furqan 25:2]
- Belief consists of belief in Allah, His Angels, the Divine Books, His Messengers, the Last Day, and belief that the destiny–both the good of it and the evil of it, the sweet of it and the bitter or it – is all from Allah.
- Those of the Ummah of Muhammad, sallallahu `alayhi wa-sallam, who have committed enormities will not be in the Fire forever, provided they die and submit before Allah as believers affirming His Oneness even if they have not repented. They are subject to Allah’s Will and Judgment. If Allah Wills, Allah will forgive them and pardon them out of His generosity, as is mentioned in the Qur’an:
وَيَغْفِرُ مَا دُونَ ذَلِكَ لِمَن يَشَاء
“And Allah forgives anything less than shirk (polytheism–or other forms of disbelief) to whomever He wills” [an-Nisa’ 4: 116]
- The grave is either one of the garden of Paradise or one of the pits of the Fire.
- We believe in the Resurrection [and being brought back to life after death], and recompense for our doings on the Day of Judgment, and the displaying of the deeds, Questioning, the Reading of the Book of Deeds, the reward or punishments, and As-Sirat (the Bridge), and Al-Mizan (the Balance).
- Paradise and Hellfire are now created, their existence never comes to an end, and we believe that Allah created them before the rest of creation and then created people to inhabit each of them. Whoever Allah wills goes to Paradise out of His Bounty and whomever Allah wills goes to Hellfire through His Justice.
- Everyone acts in accordance with what is destined for him and goes towards what he has been created for.
- Everything happens according to Allah’s Will, Knowledge, Destining, and Decree. Allah Will prevails over all other wills, and Allah Decree prevails over all stratagems.
- Allah does whatever He wills, and Allah is never unjust. Allah is exalted and clear from any injustice, fault or flaw.
- Nothing can be independent of Allah even for the blinking of an eye, and whoever considers himself independent of Allah for the blinking of an eye is guilty of disbelief and becomes one of the people of perdition.
- We confirm that, after the death of the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu `alayhi wa-sallam, the caliphate went first to Abu Bakr As–Siddiq, may Allah accept his deeds, thus proving his excellence and superiority over the rest of the Muslims; then to `Umar ibn Al-Khattab, may Allah accept his deeds; then to `Uthman, may Allah accept his deeds; and then to `Ali ibn Abi Talib, may Allah accept his deeds. These are the Rightly-Guided Caliphs (al-Khulafa’ ar-Rashidun) and upright leaders.
- We do not prefer any of the Awliya’ (pl. of Wali, i.e., an ultra-righteous Muslim) among the Ummah over any of the Prophets but rather we say that any one of the Prophets is better than all of the Awliya’. We believe in what we know of karamahs (the marvels of the Awliya’) and in authentic stories about them from trustworthy sources.
- We believe in the signs of the Hour [Judgment Day], such as, the appearance of the Dajjal and the descent of `Isa (Prophet Jesus), the son of Mary, peace be upon him, from heaven and we believe in the rising of the sun from where it sets and in the emergence of the Beast from the earth. We do not accept as true what soothsayers and fortune-tellers say, nor do we accept the claims of those who affirm anything which goes against the Book (Qur’an), the Sunnah, and the consensus of the Muslim Ummah.
- There is a single Religion accepted by Allah in the heavens and the earth and that is the Religion of Islam. Allah revealed:
إِنَّ الدِّينَ عِندَ اللّهِ الإِسْلاَمُ
“Surely the only acceptable Religion to Allah is Islam”. [Al `Imran 3:19]
- And Allah also revealed:
وَرَضِيتُ لَكُمُ الإِسْلاَمَ دِينًا
“I have accepted Islam for you as a Religion”. [Al-Ma’idah 5:3]
- Islam lies between exceeding the proper bounds and falling short–between Tashbih (resembling Allah to the creation in one way or another), and Ta`til (denying Allah’s Attributes), between Fatalism (i.e., denying humans have will and choice) and rejecting Destiny, and feeling safe from Allah’s Punishment and despairing of Allah’s Mercy.
- This is our religion and it is what we believe in, both inwardly and outwardly, and we renounce any connection, before Allah, with anyone who goes against what we have said and made clear.
- We ask Allah to make us firm in our belief and seal our lives with it and to protect us from variant ideas, scattering opinions and evil schools of view such as those of the Mushabbihah, the Mu`tazilah, the Jahmiyyah, the Jabriyyah, the Qadariyyah and others like them who go against the Sunnah and Jama`ah and have allied themselves with error. We renounce any connection with them and in our opinion they are in error and on the path of destruction. We ask Allah to protect us from all falsehood and ask His grace and favor to do all good.
- O Allah, You are the Protector of Islam and its people; please make us steadfast to Islam until we die believing in it.
Ameen, Ya Rabb. (Please, may it be so, our Lord)
The ultimate praise, thanks, and gratitude is due unto Allah, the Lord of all the worlds.